Thursday, February 16, 2012

Update on the Union

I spoke with an employee at the UOI yesterday who brought me up to speed so I wish to share bits of that conversation with you, the blog readers/community members.

WM told me that Rama leadership is open to resuming talks with the UOI and that they have been invited to our community twice in recent past, but circumstances, I think one was a death in our community, lead to postponing those talks.

WM encouraged me to encourage our members to continue to ask questions and encourage our leadership to resume those talks. The UOI is there for us as individuals of course and he did say that they don't turn anyone away who needs their help whether they come from communities who are members of the union or not, but they do operate on a BCR process, so Rama would need to pass a BCR restating their position about being members of the Union.

The truth is we need to be united in our efforts in advancing our rights. When we are divided and piece mealed it's easier to dismiss our concerns then when our voices are united as ONE. The union is doing a lot of great work for our Nation and our Nationhood. We need to get on board and support this to advance our rights and have what's written in the Kanadian constitution actually recognized. To me, it always comes back to the children. What legacy are we leaving for them? Stop thinking in terms of me and I, and starting thinking in terms of us and we.

Shawna

No comments:

Post a Comment